Kombi Club Australia
What made you happy today? - Printable Version

+- Kombi Club Australia (https://kombiclubaustralia.com)
+-- Forum: Kombi Club (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: What made you happy today? (/showthread.php?tid=51)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: What made you happy today? - Grantus - 25-10-2023

I passed my annual fitness test, to be allowed again, to volunteer my time with the ACT Rural Fire Service, this season.

Still the only one of all the states and territories, that is mandatory to do so each year….. Confused

RE: What made you happy today? - Chris Taylor - 25-10-2023

(25-10-2023, 05:32 PM)Grantus Wrote: I passed my annual fitness test, to be allowed again, to volunteer my time with the ACT Rural Fire Service, this season.

Still the only one of all the states and territories, that is mandatory to do so each year….. Confused

How odd, so if there is a major  fire somewhere I would have thought they would want as many volunteers as possible, fitness  test or not to attend.

RE: What made you happy today? - Grantus - 25-10-2023

(25-10-2023, 06:03 PM)Chris Taylor Wrote: How odd, so if there is a major  fire somewhere I would have thought they would want as many volunteers as possible, fitness  test or not to attend.

To be able to be in an ACT RFS vehicle, to attend a call out, you must be a financial paid member, have passed a fitness test, have a current “Working With Vulnerable People” card, and have completed an “Asbestos Awareness” course.

Without all of the above, you cannot legally be in an ACT RFS vehicle. But’s that’s just the ACT. Different states - different requirements for those volunteers…………

RE: What made you happy today? - Chris Taylor - 25-10-2023

(25-10-2023, 06:12 PM)Grantus Wrote: To be able to be in an ACT RFS vehicle, to attend a call out, you must be a financial paid member, have passed a fitness test, have a current “Working With Vulnerable People” card, and have completed an “Asbestos Awareness” course.

Without all of the above, you cannot legally be in an ACT RFS vehicle. But’s that’s just the ACT. Different states - different requirements for those volunteers…………
Oh not was not aware of what the requirements are but I suppose  in this day n age it makes sense .Pleased to see that you meet all these requirements, the work you guys n gal's do in an emergency really is amazing. 10 out 10 in my book.

RE: What made you happy today? - KIWI - 26-10-2023

(25-10-2023, 05:32 PM)Grantus Wrote: I passed my annual fitness test, to be allowed again, to volunteer my time with the ACT Rural Fire Service, this season.

Well done!
It is also a requirement of Forest Fire Management Victoria, but not CFA firefighters who also are never reassessed on their firefighting skills, unlike Prison Officers who are all reassessed on both firefighting and BA annually.

For Project Firefighters to successfully complete the pack hike test, they must walk 4.83 kilometres on a level track carrying a weight of 20.4 kilogram within 38 to 45 minutes. Participants who weigh 68 kilograms or less are eligible to carry a lesser weight of 15.4 kilograms.
Rappel crews must carry a weight of 20.4 kilograms and complete the pack hike within 38 to 42.5 minutes.

The circuit is a test that assesses a person’s ability to perform tasks specific to rappel operations. Rappel applicants must successfully complete the circuit to be considered for employment.
The circuit test involves two components, including:
• Lift and carry a 30 kilogram pack, five times over a distance of 15 metres
• Lift a 30 kilogram pack ten times to a height of 1.2 metres.

PR

RE: What made you happy today? - Grantus - 26-10-2023

(26-10-2023, 08:24 AM)KIWI Wrote: Well done!
It is also a requirement of Forest Fire Management Victoria, but not CFA firefighters who also are never reassessed on their firefighting skills, unlike Prison Officers who are all reassessed on both firefighting and BA annually.

For Project Firefighters to successfully complete the pack hike test, they must walk 4.83 kilometres on a level track carrying a weight of 20.4 kilogram within 38 to 45 minutes. Participants who weigh 68 kilograms or less are eligible to carry a lesser weight of 15.4 kilograms.
Rappel crews must carry a weight of 20.4 kilograms and complete the pack hike within 38 to 42.5 minutes.

The circuit is a test that assesses a person’s ability to perform tasks specific to rappel operations. Rappel applicants must successfully complete the circuit to be considered for employment.
The circuit test involves two components, including:
• Lift and carry a 30 kilogram pack, five times over a distance of 15 metres
• Lift a 30 kilogram pack ten times to a height of 1.2 metres.

PR
We have the choice of “Moderate” or “Arduous” fitness tests, to continue being a volunteer member.

The ACT Arduous one, is the same as the “Project Firefiighter” one you mention, and done by those volunteers that want to join a RAFT team, (Remote Area Firefighting Team), or want to be available for international deployments.

At my age, and with no desired commitment to be lowered from a chopper for an unknown period on a fire ground, with limited supplies and a rake hoe, on a RAFT team…… I just did the “moderate” test:

11kg weighted vest, to then cover 3.2kms, in less than 30 minutes. So an average walking pace of over 6.4km/p/h, required to pass.

Chatting to volunteer RFS members in NSW, Vic & Qld about the fitness test, and they all think it would wipe out around half their members, if it was an annual requirement in their teams.

RE: What made you happy today? - Oldman - 27-10-2023

Back on line after a two and a half day nbn outage…..
At least I could access emails via mobile phone…..KCA and other internet activities are managed on an iPad or desktop pc.
Doesn’t look as though I missed much  Tongue

RE: What made you happy today? - Grantus - 27-10-2023

Welcome back!  Cool

RE: What made you happy today? - Melissa - 29-10-2023

(27-10-2023, 06:55 PM)Oldman Wrote: Doesn’t look as though I missed much  Tongue

Everyone was well behaved Smile

RE: What made you happy today? - Grantus - 10-11-2023

(06-10-2023, 09:42 PM)Ninga Wrote: We’re having a couple of celebratory bevvies here after our ‘Rusty Bus’ Extra Virgin Olive Oil received gold medals in both categories entered at the 2023 Australian International Olive Awards. 
Perhaps it was the blood, sweat and tears (lots of tears and sweat at times) that went into it… but we didn’t think we should add that to the ingredients list. Big Grin

Most definitely made this little family happy today.

From the AIOA website: