Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Belts
Hello Kombi Clubbers
My old Bessie needs some new seatbelts.
I'm looking for a similar vintage style belt that'll just hang from the pillar (not retractable style)
Anyone used the cip1 belts or can recommend something better ?

C16-111-704GY - VINTAGE STYLE 2 POINT SEAT BELT GREY - FITS ALL AIR-COOLED MODELS - MADE IN THE USA - SOLD EACH (cip1.com)
I am no expert on this - but my understanding is that -  to be legal, all replacement seat belts need to be manufactured & fitted in compliance with the AS/NZS 2596 Standard. It may be hard to get compliance for mail-order imported seat belts ? - not sure?
Each State & Territory has slightly different requirements about the repair, replacement & refitting of seat belts. It might help to find a local seatbelt retailer / installer and get their advice.
A couple years ago I reregistered a Kombi in WA, with new seat belts fitted. Even though the seatbelts were in compliance with the AS/NZS 2596 Standard, the fact that the seat belts had been replaced turned out to be an issue. Got it resolved, but it took a bit of time & effort.
1971 Sopru aka Doob
been a while but I think I got some from here

https://www.seatsafe.com.au/
Yes - they need to be Australian Standard or ADR compliant 

I would can Seatsafe or Vintage Vee Dub Supplies is not far from you
Give Boris a call or go see him. 

Don’t wast money on imports as they won’t be leagal
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
You can import a heap of aftermarket bits and body parts, but as wisely said above, when it comes to ADR approved stuff to keep the bus legal, for both registration and insurance requirements, ensure the supplier of parts are ADR approved, to save any issues down the track.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Hemco in Ballarat may be worth a try.
Hemco
PR
Yes Hemco is the local mob.  I have a set of belts after getting a number of non compliant belts from Australian supplier reselling US seatbelts.  

Rear centre seat is 1765400 (with a RNR bed) and the front are 1790006 but I am not sure about where you get the angle brackets any more if you need them.  Busstop had them originally but I would suggest trying a few places.

I havent got my bus handy but the list is fairly comprehensive on the website if you have the measurements of the old belts.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Hey thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and advice. I'm in the process of ordering some belts from Hemco  Smile
On the opposite side of the country to you I know - but Seatbelt Solutions in Perth WA (Welshpool) offer a great service.
https://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

They can do repairs and custom made seatbelts. I imagine they can do the mounting brackets & bolts as well. 
Might be an option if you were after a second quote to compare with Hemco.
Cheers,
Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob