Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Wiper Mystery
I fitted a new rear wiper blade before leaving for Old Bar. Switched it on during the trip, to find I hadn’t cut it short enough, and it caught and jammed on the window seal at the top.

Switched off the ignition, to ensure the wiper motor was off, and lifted the blade off the window at the next stop.

Turned it on, to let it park, so I could put the blade back on the glass, but it lost it’s intermittent function, and was constantly wiping, with the off function at the dash stalk no longer switching it off either.  Undecided

Phil stood behind the bus, and gave me the signal to kill the ignition, when it was in the parked position, so I could leave it there until I got home.

Today’s mission, was to try and sort the issues. First thing to do, was to shorten the blade to the correct length, to clear the window seals. All good. Then I wet the rear window, and switched it on at the stalk. Wiper did a single pass, stopped for the intermittent time, and did another pass…..even switches off again at the stalk switch, so all working again as it should, but I’ve no idea why…. Confused
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
……probably learned that you were thinking about RainX and figured it wouldn’t be needed anyway  Tongue
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I have noted this with various VW's I have owned over the years.

Some things randomly break or fail and if left long enough, they decide to work again.

One of the quirks of VW ownership!
(05-10-2022, 10:34 AM)Syncro27 Wrote: I have noted this with various VW's I have owned over the years.

Some things randomly break or fail and if left long enough, they decide to work again.

One of the quirks of VW ownership!

I have to admit, it’s the quickest fix that I’ve ever had! 

Unlike every other “5 minute Kombi job”, that ends up taking hours…… Tongue
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(05-10-2022, 07:57 AM)Grantus Wrote: I fitted a new rear wiper blade before leaving for Old Bar. Switched it on during the trip, to find I hadn’t cut it short enough, and it caught and jammed on the window seal at the top.

Switched off the ignition, to ensure the wiper motor was off, and lifted the blade off the window at the next stop.

Turned it on, to let it park, so I could put the blade back on the glass, but it lost it’s intermittent function, and was constantly wiping, with the off function at the dash stalk no longer switching it off either.  Undecided

Phil stood behind the bus, and gave me the signal to kill the ignition, when it was in the parked position, so I could leave it there until I got home.

Today’s mission, was to try and sort the issues. First thing to do, was to shorten the blade to the correct length, to clear the window seals. All good. Then I wet the rear window, and switched it on at the stalk. Wiper did a single pass, stopped for the intermittent time, and did another pass…..even switches off again at the stalk switch, so all working again as it should, but I’ve no idea why…. Confused
It may have overloaded (overheated) the relay and after it cooled off it reset itself.
(05-10-2022, 06:07 PM)grumble Wrote: It may have overloaded (overheated) the relay and after it cooled off it reset itself.

T3's have a mind of their own Smile
(05-10-2022, 06:21 PM)luckyphil Wrote: T3's have a mind of their own Smile

All Volksies have a mind of their own Phil.
This was the source of my rear wiper failure. Yes I had to replace the fuse panel as well.

[Image: 996224.jpg]
Interesting points and possible causes, you’ve all raised. 

Well worth considering, if mine fails again, or someone else’s fails in the future.

Good info.  Smile
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(05-10-2022, 08:43 PM)Grantus Wrote: Interesting points and possible causes, you’ve all raised. 

Well worth considering, if mine fails again, or someone else’s fails in the future.

Good info.  Smile

If you have any burnt bits and need replacements give a yell.
I know how much you like things just right , and may have the bits.
Cheers
Col.