Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace axle seal?

Hi folks. My 74 bay has a leak from the left side of the transmission as per the photo. I have seen info that there is a seal in there so I'm tempted to see if I can replace that. First question, is the seal a good assumption here or should I be considering other possibilities? And does anyone know of a good step by step guide to replacing that seal? - I've not been able to find one. I have middling mechanical skill, still learning, so sometimes the trickier jobs are best taken to a mechanic for me. Not sure about this one.

Cheers Dave.
yep there's a seal in there that runs on the surface of the flange ... I assume it's in the workshop manual but failing that it's pretty straightforward ... from memory it's something like this 

raise the associated rear wheel off the ground (leave the wheel on) and put the vehicle on stands (this way you'll be able to turn the axle and cv joint to get at the bolts a bit easier) ... I'll call the bolts allen head bolts because most now are; but, check first and make sure you have the correct tool

1. pick the dirt out of the allen head bolts (of the cv joint / joint boot) to make sure your allen key gets far enough in to not chew them up

2. have a freezer bag ready to wrap around the cv joint (sticky grease attacts dirt)

3. have some cable ties or a wire hook ready to hold the axle (and cv joint) out of the way (a couple of cable ties together are handy because they can be in place before you undo anything and then you can pull them tight when the bolts are off and get the axle out of the way)

4. have some fine tie wire ready to run through a couple of bolt holes to keep the cv joint and boot together

5. undo the cv joint / boot bolts, tie the two together (while still loosely bolted to the flange is fiddlier but best), bag it and hang it up out of the way .. also try to not tilt the cv joint too much in relation to the axle 

6. there'll be a blue seal hiding the circlip ... try to get it out without damaging it if you like but usually you stab it and flick it out

7. use an appropriate circlip removing tool to take out the circlip holding the flange on (if you have one of the sets with exchangeable heads you'll work out which one you need pretty soon)

8. pull the flange off the splines (sometimes a puller is necessary)

9. pry the seal out without damaging the gearbox ... sometimes you can drive a screw into the seal and use it to yank the seal out but usually you end up prying them out.

10. put in the new seal (a bit of sealant on the outside won't hurt if you did scratch up the gearbox) ... you can use a plumbing fitting the drive it in square

11. check that the flange to seal surface area is in good condition and put the flange back on

12. put the circlip back in and the blue seal (bit of sealant wont hurt)

13. lower your axle and cv joint (if you leave them tied together until you get some bolts loosely started it'll be easier)

I have pulled and replaced the seals on my 3 rib CA code transmission without too much drama.
In addition to the great comments by Tintop above - the Bentley manual chapter 6 gives a good description of the process.
Would suggest draining some of the transmission oil before you pull the seal - otherwise the oil will get dumped on the garage floor when you pull the seal !!
I made up a jig similar to Bentley Manual Fig 6.6 to reassembly the components.

But before committing to pulling seals - give the transmission flange and CV Joint a good clean up - and observe over time. Is the fluid coming from the transmission or is it just a weeping CV joint ?
1971 Sopru aka Doob
Thanks Doob and Tintop. Glad that neither of you said this was one of those jobs that leave you swearing and cursing the Kombi gods. The step by step is really helpful, thanks Tintop. If I take my time I should be right. Will check the flange and CV too. If anyone else has tips on this that'd be cool too
(18-02-2023, 02:38 PM)d_honeyman@hotmail.com Wrote: Thanks Doob and Tintop. Glad that neither of you said this was one of those jobs that leave you swearing and cursing the Kombi gods. The step by step is really helpful, thanks Tintop. If I take my time I should be right. Will check the flange and CV too. If anyone else has tips on this that'd be cool too

Pretty much most Kombi related work will require a “swear jar”, and a pocket full of coins.

Also ensure your fridge is well stocked with your favourite  beverages, to either celebrate, or commiserate at the end of the day……… Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Wow, perfect timing for this thread, because I have the exact same issue on the driver side of the gearbox. I have fixed the main engine oil leak (the dipstick rubber tube) and now I have got this leak to fix next weekend.  The oil is leaking out and onto the spinning CV joint, which then sprays it is all directions.

I am picking up the blue plug from a local shop this week.
Daisy is on the road again!
(72 Cross.over Lowlight, painted in Kansas Beige and Pastel White)
Ocean View, QLD
(19-02-2023, 09:55 AM)Pabloako Wrote: Wow, perfect timing for this thread, because I have the exact same issue on the driver side of the gearbox. I have fixed the main engine oil leak (the dipstick rubber tube) and now I have got this leak to fix next weekend.  The oil is leaking out and onto the spinning CV joint, which then sprays it is all directions.

I am picking up the blue plug from a local shop this week.
Be aware that there are at least 2 sizes of oil seal so make sure that you get the correct one.
PR
Ok. First drama from my seal replacement.

Driveshaft off, bagged up and tied out the way
Blue sealing cap off
Circlip off
Joint Flange off (with a bit of tugging)

So far so good, however the thrust ring (Bently fig 6-1 #15) was "stuck" to the joint Flange in a ball of grease and came out with the joint Flange and fell on the floor.  My question is, shouldn't this thrust ring be behind the old seal and not have come out yet?

Everything is covered in slime, so I will clean it up and hopefully get a good look.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Daisy is on the road again!
(72 Cross.over Lowlight, painted in Kansas Beige and Pastel White)
Ocean View, QLD
(19-02-2023, 12:26 PM)KIWI Wrote: Be aware that there are at least 2 sizes of oil seal so make sure that you get the correct one.
PR

Well, I had a 50:50 chance and got the wrong one.  I have the old one out now, so I will have to take it to the shop in Brisbane to get the correct size.  The one I have from JK is 70mm and a couple of mm too large. 
Sad
Photo 
Right everything has been going smoothly, but I've now got to the point where I'm starting to curse under my breath. The seal seems like it's been glued in. I'm prying with a large screwdriver but the outside edge doesn't seem to be moving outward at all. It feels like I'm just deforming the soft inner part outward but making no real progress. I'm a bit worried about damaging things as well, every now and then I see a tiny slither of metal on my screwdriver. I'm wondering if some kind of solvent might help loosen any glue that's in there. Probably I just need to keep at it and it will eventually come out. I will take a lunch break first  Sad