Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T3 '82 model vacuum leak in brake booster
or this 1 might do it - new and cheap:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125187661542
(26-07-2023, 06:09 PM)brujef Wrote: BTW, whats with those conical headed bolts under the dash into the bracing brackets? some sort of security feature? My 4" grinder with a cutting disk gave them a nice slot for a screwdriver to fit into. 

replaced with nice hex head bolts. what a weird feature

Loosened mine with a pair of vice grips, then unscrewed them.

I believe they are meant to snap off in the event of a strong frontal collision…..
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
You can buy the shear off bolts for the dash new still, but yes replacing with hex bolts makes it easier for next time.
Yes the E30 boosters fit in and will make pedal pressure lighter (for a given braking force). Not overly common here, but worth looking for. Yes some mods are required to fit them in, mainly the bracing bar under the dash needs modifying. Not overly complicated (I have not done this yet, but on the to do list one day)
For the booster, look up places that do brake repairs (rebuild master cylinders etc), they should be able to rebuild them the diaphragms are often common.

If you have good original parts, I prefer to rebuild them rather than new which are not always great unless you can get genuine ATE.
thanks, used to be heaps of brake parts rebuilders around  - they seem to be a dying breed. Ill ask my local old school mechanic, he knows the Kombi well!
there is a BMW wrecker near me, i might drop by with the booster and see what they have.
talk to Les (Grumble)

He uses a VH44 booster when he does upgrades on beetles and things

https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/view...#pid677111

available here
https://www.google.com/search?q=vh44+bra...e&ie=UTF-8

Price all over the place.

Not going to comment on the ebay specials
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(27-07-2023, 09:55 AM)brujef Wrote: thanks, used to be heaps of brake parts rebuilders around  - they seem to be a dying breed. Ill ask my local old school mechanic, he knows the Kombi well!
there is a BMW wrecker near me, i might drop by with the booster and see what they have.

I had the ATE booster on my '82 reconditioned a few years back and is still going strong. The job was organized by my local brake shop but carried out by a firm in Sydney with a 3 day turn around. The shops are still out there, just a hunt to find the right one. I have heard of BMW boosters being added to a T3, but reckon if the OEM ATE has lasted 40 years, why change.
Wink 
(27-07-2023, 03:55 PM)AC-T3 Wrote: I had the ATE booster on my '82 reconditioned a few years back and is still going strong. The job was organized by my local brake shop but carried out by a firm in Sydney with a 3 day tu d AADrn around. The shops are still out there, just a hunt to find the right one.  I have heard of BMW boosters being added to a T3, but reckon if the OEM ATE has lasted 40 years, why change.
Quick Google search found this mob in Mt Waverley...
AAD

If they are any good, please let us all know... I have a cracked bellows on a Baywindow booster that I need to fix one day. 

PR
(27-07-2023, 05:01 PM)KIWI Wrote: Quick Google search found this mob in Mt Waverley...
AAD

If they are any good, please let us all know... I have a cracked bellows on a Baywindow booster that I need to fix one day. 

PR

My booster was rebuilt by IBS in Sydney who only supplied the trade. IBS was subsequently taken over by the business man who runs both AAD, BURSONS and a few others (I think). I have no knowledge on any of these businesses and after talking to my local brake shop today, he (Daniel) said he would be happy to talk to you to help.  Daniel does not do booster refurbs, is in Gosford, so the offer is not about making $$$$$$$'s. PM me if you want his number.
(31-07-2023, 03:07 PM)AC-T3 Wrote: My booster was rebuilt by IBS in Sydney who only supplied the trade. IBS was subsequently taken over by the business man who runs both AAD, BURSONS and a few others (I think). I have no knowledge on any of these businesses and after talking to my local brake shop today, he (Daniel) said he would be happy to talk to you to help.  Daniel does not do booster refurbs, is in Gosford, so the offer is not about making $$$$$$$'s. PM me if you want his number.

Thanks,
PM sent, I'll be up in the Central Coast in a couple of months.
PR
thanks guys for your inputs. my local brake shop (lakeside brake and clutch in N Coburg) has an old codger that re builds boosters. i should get it back this week. once its installed Ill let you know how it is.