Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How heavy is a T3 motor (2.1 MV)

Had an opportunity to weight the complete motor 137kg!
A bit more than a 1600 type 1
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Nice!

Empty bus with that much weight over the rear wheels, with driver & maybe passenger over the front wheels = a well balanced comfortable drive.

(Had a few Japanese equivalent size buses prior to the T3, with all engine and occupants over the front axle, and it was crap when empty, and not much better when fully loaded.)
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Another 13 kg's I'm guessing if you add power steer pump and air cond compressor

Round it out to an even 150 kg
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Takes 2 people to lift one.  Done that lots of times Smile
Yes definitely heavier, even more than a 2L air cooled!! It would be interesting where the additional weight is compared to a type 4 motor, it's more than just additional weight for the water jacket. I'd guess it's a combination of everything being a little heavier.
Barry, that was one great guess!! New pic attached

I should have added both are with oil and remains of coolant in there. This weight includes the AFM (missing from previous photo) which adds a bit also

Grant, does that make a Syncro even better? With the diff and front suspension, I think they are better balanced than a 2WD  Big Grin

Have to agree with what Grant said. Do remember reading somewhere that the T3 is balanced at 52% rear and 48% front with 2 PoB and 60 litres of fuel up front. Don't recall if it was referring to air or water cooled. With that weight distribution and a 4 coil fully independent suspension makes for a very pleasant ride. Well I think so.
Can't say I have had an unpleasant ride in any of my past and present VW's (well except for all the times they've broken down...)

I'd guess air cooled would be similar, a lighter motor but also no radiator and hoses a long way forward of the front axle