Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring Loom Guide Tube
Hi All,

The steel guide tube that holds the wiring loom on my T2 Bay from front to back has rotted and needs to be replaced. Replacement tubes don't seem to be readily available that I can find. Wondering what people have done to replace the tube?

Cheers
I've still got the original tube and haven't rusted. Said that you could replace the steel tube by measuring your old one and going to a steel shop and get a new steel tube. You could look into a larger pipe if you require to run more wires. I have also seen some VW repair shops that do away with the steel tube and run the harness down the same path fully exposed (no tube) only using P clamps to old the harness on down the inside of the chassis rail.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Depends on how far you want to go in keeping it original. The tube really just supports/protects the wires. As long at the wires are properly supported (tie back to chassis rail etc) the tube is really redundant. One less thing to rust if it's removed Smile
It's not a simple thing to replace, I don't think you can pull the cables out and feed into a new tube without cutting which could lead to bigger issues.
Getting it off is the hardest part by far.  Even carefully cutting with a grinding wheel is not going to be easy or with out risk.  I would suggest getting some large black split conduit for car wiring and sliding that over it.  That will give it some protection and if it starts to sag then affix a piece of steel along side and saddle or cable tie it to that.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Thanks all for your comments/suggestions.