Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sway bar
Hi all. Just a quick question...this isn't a factory sway bar on my '72 lowlight, is it? It look's way too dodgy...

I'll try to re-engineer it anyway....it hurts my eyes...

Mark
Hard to tell from one pic, but looks like standard aftermarket sway bar add on

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay...2-bay.html
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(24-09-2023, 02:05 PM)Barry Wrote: Hard to tell from one pic, but looks like standard aftermarket sway bar add on

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay...2-bay.html

Thanks Barry. That kit looks like a much higher quality than mine....though I don't know if I can justify the expense. I think I might just use the bar itself and make up new links using ball joints instead of rubbers.
                                                                                                                         Mark
That looks like a dodgy Australian made bar. (K Mac or Selby maybe)
(24-09-2023, 02:36 PM)syncro Wrote: That looks like a dodgy Australian made bar. (K Mac or Selby maybe)

Yeah, that lump of all-thread with a couple of locknuts and rubbers is what does my head in. I'm an ATV mechanic so I've got access to a lot of small tie-rod ends etc. so I should be able to knock up something a bit more presentable.
                                                                                                                                                   Mark
To the best of my knowledge , no Bay had rear sway bars fitted as stock....
As always, happy to be corrected.  Wink
( as an aside, it'd be worth getting a grommet into that brake line clip......vibration will wear a hole through the line pretty quickly...line failure 'aint pretty....)
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(24-09-2023, 03:59 PM)Oldman Wrote: To the best of my knowledge , no Bay had rear sway bars fitted as stock....
As always, happy to be corrected.  Wink
( as an aside, it'd be worth getting a grommet into that brake line clip......vibration will wear a hole through the line pretty quickly...line failure 'aint pretty....)

Thanks mate. I hadn't noticed that, though I was planning on replacing all the brake lines at a later stage. She's getting a ground up rebuild and I want everything to be nice and shiny....

Mark
(24-09-2023, 04:50 PM)Mark D Wrote: Thanks mate. I hadn't noticed that, though I was planning on replacing all the brake lines at a later stage. She's getting a ground up rebuild and I want everything to be nice and shiny....

Mark

I’ve just replaced the brake lines on my son’s’71.
The other critical grommet is the one that isolates the rear brake line from the swing arm……the brake line passes through…..it can be a biatch to r’n’r …..but it’s doable. You’ll also need a brake line bender.
No one makes the lines pre-bent nd you’ll have to do them yourself….again doable, just go slow and keep the old lines as intact as possible as templates.
Cheers,
Mark

(24-09-2023, 05:33 PM)Oldman Wrote: I’ve just replaced the brake lines on my son’s’71.
The other critical grommet is the one that isolates the rear brake line from the swing arm……the brake line passes through…..it can be a biatch to r’n’r …..but it’s doable. You’ll also need a brake line bender.
No one makes the lines pre-bent nd you’ll have to do them yourself….again doable, just go slow and keep the old lines as intact as possible as templates.

Is that the one on the end of the swing arm? Or further up the line?

Mark
There’s only one place the line goes through the actual swing arm……that’s the one ! Big Grin
Trace the line from the wheel cylinder towards the brake hose…. you’ll find it in no time.
Cheers,
Mark