Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T3 starting issue
Just got back from a weekend away and had an issue starting again. 
Last time it happened was twice going to Busstop last Easter. 
Once at Broken Hill and once just outside of Strathalbyn (on the Murray - can’t remember name)

First time it happened was a couple of years ago on our northern NSW trip up Walcha way. 

I faffed around with hitting the solenoid, replacing key switch, cable tieing plug cables so they don’t move
Narrowed it down to the starter solenoid wire. 

Turn the key and I get power to the solenoid terminal. 
But won’t fire. 

If I replace the wire and take a “hot wire” from the alternator - fire right up. 

I have changed key switch and it’s not that. 

It is very intermittent. 
Only happened 5 times but all in the last 3(?) years

I haven’t replaced the spade connection. 
That will be my first job. 

If it’s not that I’m not sure what to do. 
If it’s the plug on the key switch I doubt I can get a new one. 
“If” I can get a second hand one - I will need to splice it in. 

Maybe just run a new solenoid wire?
Anyone done that?
Where does the loom run?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Automatic trans?
(29-01-2024, 07:27 AM)rstucke Wrote: Automatic trans?

Sorry - yes.

Automatic
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
Had a very similar issue with my T2 bay, wouldn't start intermittently, power to solenoid but would just click when key turned to start. Ended up taking starter motor to local old school auto electrician who fitted new solenoid cap & no more problems
62 Beetle, 74 Kombi, 60 Karmann Ghia,  06 Jetta, 16 Amarok
Thanks Busso
Had an auto electrican that I trust look at this and he was happy it's ok.
The weird part is if I hot wire to the alternator 12V, all is good
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
(28-01-2024, 06:53 PM)Barry Wrote: Just got back from a weekend away and had an issue starting again. 
Last time it happened was twice going to Busstop last Easter. 
Once at Broken Hill and once just outside of Strathalbyn (on the Murray - can’t remember name)

First time it happened was a couple of years ago on our northern NSW trip up Walcha way. 

I faffed around with hitting the solenoid, replacing key switch, cable tieing plug cables so they don’t move
Narrowed it down to the starter solenoid wire. 

Turn the key and I get power to the solenoid terminal. 
But won’t fire. 

If I replace the wire and take a “hot wire” from the alternator - fire right up. 

I have changed key switch and it’s not that. 

It is very intermittent. 
Only happened 5 times but all in the last 3(?) years

I haven’t replaced the spade connection. 
That will be my first job. 

If it’s not that I’m not sure what to do. 
If it’s the plug on the key switch I doubt I can get a new one. 
“If” I can get a second hand one - I will need to splice it in. 

Maybe just run a new solenoid wire?
Anyone done that?
Where does the loom run?

Barry do you have 12 volts at the solenoid wire when it happens? A possibility may be the inhibitor switch, try moving the lever back or forward when it won't start and reset the switch if this fixes the problem. My auto had a fit like this and resetting the switch rectified it. Another possible cure is to fit a relay to the solenoid wire as this will give a direct 12v to the solenoid eliminating any voltage drop in the circuit. My gut feel is the inhibitor switch adjustment.
Yeah - tried switching from Park to Neutral. 
Then just moving the gear selector up and down a few times.

Yes - I believe (have seen) that there is 12V at the terminal when it wont start.

I will add (old age memories are fading) that it did happen at home when I got back from the Walcha trip.
The NRMA that came out showed me the "jump start" when we saw the 12V at the terminal wasnt working.
Gotta be REAL careful as it WILL kick the motor no matter where the gear selector is  Sad Undecided

There is always a difficulty factor trying to solve "intermittent" problems.
Feel sorry for mechanics when they spend 2 hrs searching for a problem, feel guilty and charge for an hour, only to be accused of being a rip off because the problem happened again 6 months later
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
Just had this with the Forester.
Turned out to be a dicky solenoid.....
It'd start if the key was turned and I tapped the solenoid.
Bought a 2nd hand unit and all is well again.....

Could be worth pulling the starter and taking it to an Auto Electrician to match/swap out the solenoid.
On the Forester it was just bolted to the starter.....dunno about a T3.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(29-01-2024, 11:57 AM)Barry Wrote: Yeah - tried switching from Park to Neutral. 
Then just moving the gear selector up and down a few times.

Yes - I believe (have seen) that there is 12V at the terminal when it wont start.

I will add (old age memories are fading) that it did happen at home when I got back from the Walcha trip.
The NRMA that came out showed me the "jump start" when we saw the 12V at the terminal wasnt working.
Gotta be REAL careful as it WILL kick the motor no matter where the gear selector is  Sad Undecided

There is always a difficulty factor trying to solve "intermittent" problems.
Feel sorry for mechanics when they spend 2 hrs searching for a problem, feel guilty and charge for an hour, only to be accused of being a rip off because the problem happened again 6 months later

OK because you say it had 12v at the solenoid wire and it started when the NRMA hot wired the solenoid I would suggest a relay to eliminate voltage drop in the circuit. Try this 1st though-- without depressing the thumb button the gear stick hold the key in the start position and move the gearshift back or forwards and see if this works, often there is a bit of wear in the bushes and intermittently the inhibitor switch does not connect the contacts inside. The other option is take the starter to an auto electrician for repair.
thanks Les
76 Bay Microbus - Woody