Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering box
Hi all, 
        I've run into a bit of an issue with the steering box in my '72 kombi. I took the box out of the vehicle and pulled it apart to check it, change the seal and generally just clean it up. Now it's reassembled and sitting on the bench and I was mucking around with the adjustment screw. I've got it so there's basically no play in it, but, the problem is it spins freely to the left hand lock, but spinning to the right it hits a tight spot just before the stop. I don't know how the steering was before, as I've never actually driven the thing before I started the restoration. Has anyone had any experience with these boxes before? Is there any part I should be looking at for wear? Everything looked in good condition when I had it apart, but then again, I've never pulled one apart before.....
                                                                                                   Thanks for any help, Mark
Rick could help you with info.
Flick him a pm…..
rstucke is his Forum name.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(30-04-2024, 06:53 PM)Oldman Wrote: Rick could help you with info.
Flick him a pm…..
rstucke is his Forum name.

Thanks mate, I'll do that.
Did you tighten the adjustment screw while the input shaft being central to the steering box. You should only adjust the screw when you are centred to the box. Mean when you have equal turns left and right it’s about 2 3/4 turns from centre to left and from centre the same amount to the right. 
The centre should normally have a tight spot. I replaced nearly every component of this box and I still have some free play in the steering wheel. ( bad design)
Did you check the peg for any damage?
I’ll say you need to unscrew the adjustment, find the centre of the steering box and then re adjust the steering box adjustment screw.
The other option which I have also done on one of my 72’s is replace the box for a later model. This does require modification to the mounting hole locations.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Benefit of replacing to later model is you may be able to get a new box from Rick as well. 

Hopefully it is just needing re-adjustmente
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
I have 3 late exchange ones at the moment and am working on kiwi's
(01-05-2024, 07:14 AM)Wayne Murray Wrote: Did you tighten the adjustment screw while the input shaft being central to the steering box. You should only adjust the screw when you are centred to the box. Mean when you have equal turns left and right it’s about 2 3/4 turns from centre to left and from centre the same amount to the right. 
The centre should normally have a tight spot. I replaced nearly every component of this box and I still have some free play in the steering wheel. ( bad design)
Did you check the peg for any damage?
I’ll say you need to unscrew the adjustment, find the centre of the steering box and then re adjust the steering box adjustment screw.
The other option which I have also done on one of my 72’s is replace the box for a later model. This does require modification to the mounting hole locations.

Seems it was just what you say. I tried it again with the box centred, and now it spins freely lock to lock. I'll have a bit more of a go and see if I can find the tighter spot in the centre. Many thanks for that.
                                                                                                                    Mark
You may have trouble finding it if it's worn, as the middle is the most used part.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
(01-05-2024, 07:21 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: You may have trouble finding it if it's worn, as the middle is the most used part.

Had another go and actually did find a slightly resistant spot in the middle. Sort of like a soft detent. Maybe I've gotten lucky and the box is still in reasonable condition......
                                                                         Mark
It is possible you may have a decent box, see what it's like when it's got more leverage or load on the steering box when you have it back in the car and see how it feels then.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute