Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear shift and knuckles on the dash .
I’ve had a mechanic fit a kit to the front of the shifter but my knuckles still hit the dash when shifting to 2cnd . Any other adjustments forward and aft ?
When that happened to me, after another driver tried to get reverse without knowing how, and used brute force, the hollow gearstick was bent! 

Bending it back, weakens it to a point of snapping.  Sad

Tyre places etc, I now frighten them enough for recourse if there’s any damage, that they now prefer me to drive the vehicle into position, and reverse it out of their workshop when done!
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
If you know a Plumber, maybe ask him to use a pipe bender to “adjust” the gearstick for clearance..?
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(14-05-2024, 08:56 AM)Oldman Wrote: If you know a Plumber, maybe ask him to use a pipe bender to “adjust” the gearstick for clearance..?

It will still break. New gear stick required. They are designed to snap off in a collision.
.....curious.....a pipe bender doesn't stress the parent structure if used properly.
I would've thought that only a couple of degrees adjustment would do the trick.
If not, so be it.....
Cheers,
Mark

They are made of a strongish, but brittle hollow alloy……..

When mine finally snapped in traffic, leaving a small stalk at the base, I found a hollow wheel brace onboard, and slid it over the stalk, to awkwardly get me home!

88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Snap !
I had a similar experience with a first gen Vintagespeed shifter….snapped about 50 mm above the floor during the last days of Stanthorpe Bus Stop. Drove the run from Walcha to Wauchope via Ginger Creek and then home using a long, 10 mm socket and extension bar as a shifter…..scary !!
Cheers,
Mark

One word…………..”automatic”
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Whoosh……
Tongue
Cheers,
Mark

(14-05-2024, 10:06 AM)Grantus Wrote: They are made of a strongish, but brittle hollow alloy……..

When mine finally snapped in traffic, leaving a small stalk at the base, I found a hollow wheel brace onboard, and slid it over the stalk, to awkwardly get me home!
Innovation at its best, but you are right they are easy to bend with force and brittle. I replaced a few over the years mostly because of people trying to use them incorrectly and wear in the linkage system.